Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Movie Review: Resident Evil: Retribution (2012)


You know what? No. 

I can't do it. I can't even try to enjoy these RE movies anymore, or review them. They're not even trying. This was a pretty good 90-minute commercial, but as a movie, I am wholly unimpressed and in fact, I've already forgotten most of it and I just finished watching it about a half hour ago (as of this writing, that is). The scale has gotten so big on these movies that the little things are forgotten and the focus is completely on unrealistic fight sequences (that last sequence in the snow? Seriously, there needs to be a universal time limit on fight sequences like that) and making pretty CGI. The story - ha, what story? - is pulled from several different video games at once and I just don't know where the hell we are anymore. There is undoubtedly another RE in store for us, but I for one am over these movies.




Not the first one, though. The first one still kicks ass.

7 comments:

  1. I don't know why I keep paying to watch these when they come out, the last 2 have been laughably bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! I'm glad I only wasted a Netflix rental than actually spend any real money on this thing. Completely not worth the time.

      Delete
  2. I could not believe how shamelessly rotten this movie was - especially the Mortal Kombat-esque x-ray shots of bones breaking in that final fight scene. What the hell?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, I hated that whole fight sequence. Over-long, boring, took itself too seriously. And X-ray vision is never a good idea.

      Delete
  3. This was really bad. Making it worse, it is the first one of the series I have seen. My friend and I rented it the other night from a video store (I know, one of those old things), because she is a fan of the series and wanted to see it. Within ten minutes she was shaking her head and by the end she was like 'Please don't think they are all like this' since sense she really wants me to see them all from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, please listen to your friend and me. This was a bad RE movie to get you started but you must, MUST at least see the first one. It is seriously awesome. The next two are pretty good as well, and things really go downhill with Afterlife and now Retribution.

      Really, see the first one. Soon.

      Delete
  4. I love the first 4 parts, but I agree with you on the fifth one: that one was just bad. Yay for Milla and some nice zombie action. The rest sucks.

    ReplyDelete