Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Michele is in Resident Evil Heaven

In the general definition of the term, I'm a gamer. I enjoy wasting a few hours here and there in front of my PS3, but my problem is that I'm a very picky gamer. I only like third person shooters, and nothing fantasy like dragons or magic or stuff like that. To give you an idea, the only games I still own right now are The Godfather 1 and 2, Red Dead Redemption, The Tomb Raider Trilogy, Resident Evil 4 and 5, and Uncharted 1, 2, and 3. See? The same games over and over. But I'm cool with that because I love all these games and they are exactly what I want out of my gaming experience. 

Why does this matter? Because 2012 is turning out to be one freaking amazing year for one of my favorite, and one of the most popular, video game series - Resident Evil. So far there are three new RE games coming out this year alone, which is an amazing treat for fans since it has been 3 years since RE5 came out. I loved RE5 myself but most fans were unimpressed because the game was mostly just an adventure/shooter and seemed to do away with the scare factor that helped make the series a hit in the first place. Well, as previously mentioned, this year Capcom has three chances to make things right with fans with one minor and two major game releases.


Resident Evil Revelations
Platform(s): Nintendo 3DS
Release Date: February 7, 2012

Not much interest in this game for me since it is exclusive to the 3DS, but I'd be interested to see how it would play out on the new platform. The gameplay is similar to RE4 and RE5 and the story centers around RE favorites Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine. Plus from what I can tell from the descriptions, the setting seems like it's going to be much different, as it takes place on a cruise liner and not some desolate, isolated landscape.


Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
Platform(s): Windows, PS3, XBox 360
Release Date: March 20, 2012

This one sounds the most interesting as the gameplay seems completely different than what I've played before and will be a fun change from previous RE games. Players actually get to be the bad guys in this game and the story takes us all the way back to almost the very beginning of the game, right back to the outbreak of the T virus in Raccoon City. I never got to play the original games so I'm so stoked about this! Players can also vastly change the outcome of the storyline depending on what decisions they make, and they can also choose to become infected by the virus as a strategy for helping to complete the mission.


Resident Evil 6
Platform(s): PS3, Xbox 360, Windows
Release Date: November 20, 2012

What a glorious surprise! The big boys kept a tight lid on the development of this game, so I never even knew that Resident Evil 6 was a possibility until I got slapped in the face with the amazing game trailer that was released just a few days ago on January 19. I admit I was happy enough with the news of Operation Raccoon City, but I am a helluva lot more excited for RE6! The trailer is (as I described it on another person's site) pretty much orgasmic, Leon Kennedy and Chris Redfield are back, and it looks to be the same kind of gameplay that I have come to know and love from this series. The only downside is the 10 month wait until I can get this piece of awesome in my hands!


Resident Evil: Retribution
Release Date: September 14, 2012

And to put the cherry on top of the Year of Resident Evil, the fifth movie installment of the series is also coming out in 2012! However, my liking of the franchise slowly dwindled after the first film, so I can't say I have high hopes for this movie yet. The story sounds interesting, though. We get to find out more about Alice's past, seemingly before her involvement with Umbrella from that one shot of her on a street with a kid, along with continuing the storyline presented in the last movie. Ada Wong, Leon Kennedy, Albert Wesker, and Jill Valentine will also all appear in the movie as Alice travels the world trying to put an end to the zombie madness. The zombies in the film will also be the Las Plagas parasites, which appeared in the RE4 game, so those effects should be at least fun to watch. As for the 3D... no thanks!


With all these RE goodies, I think this will be a bitchin' year.

5 comments:

  1. I have high hopes for Retribution as well. Especially learning that Michelle Rodriquez will be in it. She was my favorite character of the films.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO, SO, SO EXCITED for the newest Resident Evil game. It is obviously my favorite video game, mostly due to the survival horror aspect and zombies, and I'm glad to see that it's finally going back to its roots.
    RE4 clearly changed the series and it was AWESOME. However, they lost me with RE5 which just didn't have the same feel as the other games.
    I'm so glad to see that zombies are coming back and two of my fav characters will be returning to Raccoon city too.
    I'm also pumped about Raccoon City because that just so happens to be my favorite location in the game.
    PUMPED!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I'm honestly not a huge RE fan (I tend more towards the fantasy and dragons and magic stuff), I'm actually pretty interested in these too, as it seems they're going for some potential heavy co-op (as in, more than just one other player) in some of these games. I adore co-op gaming and try to track down just about anything with a focus on it.

    I'm most excited about next week's release of Soul Calibur V, though, largely to see what they've done with their character creation mode. ^_^ Sounds like they've made a ton of improvements to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The RE games are my favorites, very bad ass. My favorite RE game is the 4th one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Amanda: Like I said, I never got to play the original games so I'm just as pumped as you are to get to play what seems to be the 'real' Resident Evil!

    @Wolf: I've never been a co-op player mainly because I don't have anybody around who wants to play with me, but I hear that is going to be a big thing with Operation Raccoon City, with lots of characters to play and everything. So this might be right up your alley!

    @Jenny: RE4 was indeed freaking amazing. I was so sad when I had to sell it, along with my other PS2 games and the PS2 as well! Then I re-bought it for the Wii, so I'm cool now. :)

    ReplyDelete